Fashion Express

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'm very excited. I'm going to make a skirt and blouse for myself. It's been a long time since I've drafted a pattern and made a toile.

I used to sew using many couture techniques such as underlining. About 80% of the construction was done by hand. I'll post photos of those dresses once I get them scanned.

I work in Financial Services and the pace of the workplace is very demanding. If I'm going to grow and continue my dressmaking skills it's imperative that I adapt new techniques.

I've decided to study the construction details of my office wardrobe. Many of the outfits I buy are from very small local boutiques specializing in close-outs. Sometimes the labels are still inside. This is an added bonus which I'll share with whoever links to this blog.

I'm going to call this style of dressmaking boutique style. There is enough attention to quality finishing to put these clothes in a class by themselves.

Another thing I will show is that you don't need a very expensive sewing machine to achieve excellent results.

First stop on fashion express will be my old style portfolio. I'll explain how those clothes were made. A look at the pros and cons of a purely couture dressmaker approach will also be considered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home